Monday, September 1, 2008

Barack chalk (I love Stephen Colbert)

I just finished my jog, and for the first time in a while, I thoroughly enjoyed running. The weather right now is absolutely perfect, and spent a lot of time doing self therapy. It was beautiful and I enjoyed it.

Yesterday was the first Sunday we've been able to actually serve in our calling. We've been Primary instructors for a few months now, with no children to teach. Saturday, we got the phone call that our time had come! We were going to teach three kids. I opened up the manual and made elaborate crafts to follow along the lesson in the book to teach the kids the importance of tithing. I was excited, and it's hard for me to craft without an excuse to do so. At 8 a.m. the next morning, we were in the Primary room with big smiles, ready to go through the lesson. The first two kids were Jack and Eric. Jack has been in Primary before, and had no qualms about sitting in the tiny little chair in front of the table. Eric was a little apprehensive, since this was his first time, and instead wanted to sit on the floor in front of the door. My experience with kids has taught me that if a small child wants to sit in front of the door instead of in a chair, you let him, because that's not really what's important. He feels like he has control over some part of a new situation and will be more receptive to the stuff that counts. So he sat by the door. Then in came Caitlin.

Oh, Caitlin.

First of all, our names are the same (not counting the spelling). She was wearing a bright pink dress, and looked freakishly similar to how I looked when I was little. She was also toting a stuffed duck named Ducky. When I was little, my favorite stuffed animal was a duck named Ducky. Caitlin was very shy, very quiet, and very unsure of the scary new people she was left in a room with. She was me!

Bobby was with Jack and Eric on the piano, trying to get them to sing a primary song, while I consoled Caitlin in the absence of her mother and got her to warm up a little to the idea of being in Primary. By this time, the block was half over, and the kids were not acting like they were ready for my tithing bank and the mites we had so carefully created. Instead, we got some coloring sheets of Jesus blessing the children that Jack and Caitlin worked on while Eric built a fort out of chairs. All in all, very productive, and spending time with Caitlin reminded me of how adorable I was and how adorable my kids will inevitably be, leaving me to reconsider my animosity toward the prospect of life suckers (aka offspring).

Five days from now, we'll be doing a triathlon (hence the running regularly again). Tomorrow, the rec center opens up again so we can get some swim time in. I did a BRICK a couple days ago (Bike, Run, It Can Kill), and the name doesn't lie. Holy pea soup, what a miserable feeling. I only rode 10 miles and then ran 3, and I thought my legs were cement. Fortunately, it's a nine mile ride followed by a 5k, so I know I can do that part... let's just hope I can do all of it after I've swam 400 meters. Blech.

Oh, yeah. How hilarious is this Sarah Palin nomination? Oh, McCain, is dementia starting to set in in your old, old age?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What is absolutely HILARIOUS about the Palin thing is that she just announced that her 17 year old unmarried daughter is knocked up. 5 months!! And apparently, she's going to marry the father. I kind of feel bad for the girl because she's in a bad situation, that's made even worse by who her mother is. But what I really hate is how the right is all like, "Well, she's not having an abortion!" while completely ignoring the fact that a 17 year old girl was having unprotected sex!! Gah... big blinking sign right in the middle of the GOP ticket, "Abstinence only education doesn't work!!!"