Monday, July 6, 2009

A new understanding.

In an effort to be more physically active, I've taken to riding my bike places more than before. Rather than driving to campus, I ride my bike, and carry it up to the third floor to put in the same room as me, because my bike is far too pretty (and impossible to replace given our current financial position in life) to lock up on a bike rack. In my experience, I have discovered something that is quite bothersome.

Lawrence differs than Provo in that cyclists are allowed on the sidewalks. At first, I found it strange that a cyclist would even want to ride on the sidewalk, but discovered quickly its appeal. While all the entrances into Lawrence city limits have signs indicating the community is bike friendly, many motorists failed to receive the memo. This is especially upsetting since I learned that bike laws became mandatory testing materials in order to obtain a driver's license. Riding on 6th or Iowa becomes a request to die young, apparently.

Riding on the sidewalk has brought to light something I think I would not have noticed otherwise. Many sections of sidewalk look like they've fallen victim to various earthquakes, and the transition from sidewalk to cross walk seems like a blatant afterthought for many construction workers. Perhaps it's the humidity that creates such violent cracks and holes, but I've not seen any effort made to repair sidewalks. On a bike, this can be terrifying, especially for those of us who have had bloody bike accidents, and any lip or inconsistency in the pavement can cause a spike in anxiety. However, what I find extremely alarming is considering the individuals in wheelchairs who are doing their part to lighten their carbon footprint, and then are punished unnecessarily for their mode of transportation. My observations of the sidewalks around Lawrence are not hyperbolic in order to complain about something-- I genuinely think it would be nearly impossible for someone in a wheelchair to get from point A to point B in Lawrence through using the sidewalks. Several transitions from sidewalk to crosswalk are so uneven that many appear to require a ramp in order to successfully roll over the large lump of concrete and tar.

In addition to individuals using wheelchairs, I would imagine parents pushing strollers have experienced extreme difficulty in attempting to enjoy an evening stroll. I thought it odd that I didn't see nearly as many jogging strollers out here as I did in Utah, and initially wrote it off as a cultural difference. Now, I see that such physical activity could be deemed hazardous, both to the expensive stroller being pushed and the precious cargo inside.

These complaints worsened when I rode my bike downtown to watch the fireworks, and I discovered that thousands of dollars were spent on blowing things up. Pretty lights and loud noises to be enjoyed by a community over a few hours, when such money could be spent to repair the roads for the members of the community to enjoy every day of the year. I guess tradition and morale trump safety.

If you think I'm overreacting, this guy died from hitting a pothole on his bike. He wasn't on the sidewalk, but still-- even the roads aren't getting repaired.

On a slightly related note, I'm in love with the new Nike commercial. I'm told I won't like Lance as much when I read his second book, but right now, I'm kind of in love with him, mostly for what he's doing for cancer. Love, love, love. All around.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I thought of you when I saw that commercial the other day.

Anonymous said...

1) Lawrence in general is not very accessible oriented. When I get sick, I get an accessible parking pass, and there are few spots available. And you're right, the sidewalks are terrible.

2) The roads are not SO bad. Have you BEEN to Iowa? Hell hole.