Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Revamp.

This blog has turned into simply a link to my private blog, where I feel more comfortable posting pictures of my beautiful kids.

Well, now I have a new purpose, which is fitting for "The Brigman Farm."

For a long time, the husband and I have dreamed of having a tiny farm. We wanted something where we could grow most of our own food, have chickens for eggs, goats because they're adorable, and mostly wanted a place where our kids could learn about working hard and enjoy doing it. It is also super important for us to have our kids' friends want to come hang out at our house, and since we don't do tv or video games, we have to have something interesting to draw them in.

Recently, the husband built a fence. And more recently, we got our tax return, and he said something about using some money to buy some fancy shoes. My response? "You can get your fancy shoes, and I'm going to get some chickens." I was half joking (though we have talked about it before, as Lawrence allows five chickens within city limits per household).

And what do you know? We now have four chickens living in our garage.

The original plan was to get three chickens. It just seemed like a good number to us. But when we got to Orscheln, we discovered that they had many Barred Rock pullets, and only two Orpingtons. We wanted to get two Barred Rocks because they have good personalities and are high egg layers, and I wanted to get an Orpington because they are supposed to be the sweetest with kids. With only two left, the husband said, "I think we need to get two Orpingtons and one Barred Rock, because I can't just leave one alone in that cage." Since they're three dollars, I suggested we just get four.

And so our family expanded.


In addition to adding some chickens (named Cleo, Berta, Lulu, and Edna), we also converted a third of our front yard into a garden. We've planted a few things already, and the strawberries loved all the rain last week. The broccoli has sprouted, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the green beans after discovering a delicious Parmesan green bean recipe that The Sir cannot stop gobbling. Anxious about getting started with all the warm weather, though, I resorted to starting some indoors. Basil and cherry tomatoes have done extremely well inside.


Fingers crossed on a fruitful season. I'm hoping to have to get really serious about learning to can-- and REALLY excited about the chest freezer my mom is bringing us this week. Let's see if we can really master this self sufficiency thing.

4 comments:

Erica Cope said...

You should check out A Blossoming Homestead (in my blogroll). Her name is Megan and her husband and mine graduated from high school together. They are a sweet couple with strong vales. I think you will like her. Plus she has lots of helpful tips and information for homesteading.
If we get this house we are making an offer on tuesday, I will be joining you in the quest for self-sufficiency. It is only an acre lot but I think I will be able to utilize the space efficiently. :)

keighty said...

Love it! And jealous of your acre. Are you getting any animals?

Erica Cope said...

chickens for sure! We'll see how that goes first before we take on anything else! LOL

Chelsea said...

Awesome, Keighty!

If we ever get a fence in, we'll be getting some chickadees as well. My dad's in town and I'm thinking my mom's going to put him to work getting a fence started.

And awesome about the garden! I seem to have a black thumb and the only thing leftover from last year's garden order is the blackberry bush. Some little animal ate the blueberry twig and I totally killed the lemon tree.

If you discover any secrets, let me know!