Friday, August 15, 2008

So I guess this means I'm an adult.

Yesterday was my graduation from Brigham Young University. After spending a whole year at BYU, I decided to participate fully in the pomp and circumstance, and the events went as follows:

Midnight, Wednesday night: Bobby, Marty, Sarah and myself went to Smith's to purchase chips, bread, ham, and cheese. Sarah and I also bought waterproof makeup (for all the tears, right?)

Thursday morning: Bobby and I woke up in a frenzy, getting everything thrown together, and preparing Peli for a day of kenneling while we went off into the world.

Thursday, 10:30 ish: We picked up Marty and Sarah, and then stopped at a gas station to fill the tires with air and to get some delicious fig newtons and a very large diet coke with lime.

Thursday, 12:00 pm: I walked... right into Lagoon, where we spent the day riding amusement park rides, going to the water park, and exhausting ourselves, ending the day with a trip to Salt Lake City just to go to Chipotle (they don't have one in the Provo/Orem area, which I consider one of the greatest sins of happy valley).

I didn't wear the black cap and gown, but I did wear my new cute black and white polka dotted swimsuit. I didn't accept a handshake as I walked across the stage, but I did accept my husband's hand to squeeze the living daylights out of when he forced me to go on a scary roller coaster. Instead of spending a couple hours with people I didn't really know very well, reminiscing about all the year I spent at BYU, I spent an entire day with my husband and our amazing friends creating new memories to reminisce about later.

This whole being a capable adult thing terrifies me, but in looking at my decision for how to celebrate yesterday, I'd say I'm pretty competent when it comes to priorities and execution.

Now, here comes the job application part. That's only mildly terrifying.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

Adulthood!!! I totally agree about the whole walking/sitting in the sun sweating and wishing you had taped a pillow to your rear. Besides, if people really care (parents etc) you can go to DI, pick up someone's old robe and take a few pics. Then return it to the rack. A little photoshop, and tada photo-logical proof that you graduated.