Monday, November 17, 2008

Crappy Mormon.

The little scientist living inside of me (her name is Francis) is telling me that it's the shorter days and lack of sunlight that is bringing my anxiety and depression out of hibernation. When they talk about depression in psychology classes, they fail to use one important adjective when describing it: annoying. It's so annoying waking up in the morning and forcing your emotions to move up a few notches just to get to neutral (not to mention exhausting). Hello, chemicals in my brain? I have more important things to expend that energy on, thanks. As strongly opposed as I am to the practice, I may be forced to consider going tanning (le gasp), or perhaps purchase a sun lamp.

Christmas season has been in full swing for several weeks now (in my head), so I'm getting antsy to decorate. To comply with Bobby's requirements for his own sanity, I'm refraining from my tinsel attack on our living quarters until the day after Thanksgiving (which I actually celebrate and look forward to more than Thanksgiving itself). I'm all about the fake stuff at Christmas. I like the lights and the trees and the animated penguin figurines on the front lawn (I'm still trying to figure out a way to convince Bobby we need the ones they have at Target and they're totally worth the storage space). The religious aspect? Well, we got a gorgeous Willowtree nativity set last year the day after Christmas (another sacred day in my book) that I look forward to setting up, but other than that, I'm struggling. These days, I'm a little mad at God.

*Cue screeching tires*

Yeah, I know. It makes me a little sick to my stomach just to type those words, but it's true (and I took vitamins on an empty stomach, which may contribute to the queasiness). It's been a little ho hum between me and the Big Guy lately, because try as I might, I don't like Proposition 8. I don't understand it, it confuses me, and it's not what I signed up for when I took the plunge. The election happened, and then I thought it would all be over with, and then I'm bombarded by crap STILL whenever I sign into facebook. Jimminy Christmas, folks, let it go (says the hypocrite who obviously cannot let it go).

Then Sunday morning, Bobby got a call. It was his mom requesting that we fast for her and Trevor.

Trevor's my ALB (acquired little brother). For those of you who might not know it, Trevor is probably the best human being on the planet. He probably would have been translated years ago if he weren't surrounded by such flawed human beings like myself that Heavenly Father knew could really benefit from his example. Trevor was born with William's Syndrome and as a result, his mom was told many things: he would never understand multiplication, would never be able to go to regular classes, etc. Trevor graduated from high school on time taking regular classes and was on the honor roll. He did better than a majority of people I know (myself and Bobby included). Another kicker for William's Syndrome is that you end up with a shoddy heart. You wouldn't be able to tell from looking at him, but Trevor is a prime candidate for instant heart failure. As I'm typing this sentence, he could die. Years ago, his doctors told Mom that he needed a heart transplant. She decided against it, and he's coming up on the time where he would have needed another one. When I was first told about Trevor's condition, I asked why he didn't just get a transplant. They do it all the time on Grey's Anatomy, and it seems very dramatic, but it's always the victory at the end. Yay! Heart transplant! You get to live! Turns out though that t.v. isn't always an accurate resource when it comes to such things (though I still stand by Grey's Anatomy as far as learning life lessons goes). If Trevor gets a heart transplant, he's going to have to pretty much live at the doctor's. He's going to have to take lots of anti-rejection meds, and his quality of life is going to suck for lack of a better word. Right now, he's kicking it. He's a vivacious bugger who gets excited about Spiderman and the Hulk and Batman and teaches himself how to play songs on the piano. He sits in his room and plays his electric drumset to CDs and without having taken a single drum lesson, he's as good as the drummers in Yellowcard and the like. He goes out with the missionaries a couple times a week. But when they look at his heart, the doctors can't believe he's able to do much of anything, and at the very least won't be able to do a whole lot for much longer. So the doctors have told Mom that she needs to make a decision: heart transplant, or let him live the way's been living until he doesn't.

I know it all. God has a plan. It's not a good idea to get mad at God and question said plan, as Job so nicely shows us. God sees the big picture, I see a teeny tiny picture. There is life after death, there's the resurrection, and families are eternal. But when I'm mad, thinking all of those things just makes me feel like God's saying that it's okay to make things horrible because He'll make up for it later. I know I'm being insanely selfish, but why shouldn't I want my kids to be able to meet their amazing uncle? Growing up, I felt so cheated when I heard stories about my dad's dad. My grandpa died trying to get my grandma out of a car after a car accident. That alone makes him incredible, and I never got to meet him. I know I will because there's life after death, families are eternal, God sees the big picture, I see the teeny tiny picture, but I still feel cheated.

Yesterday, in church, there was a gal talking about missionary work. She said the most effective way to perform missionary work was living your life the way you're supposed to and through the happiness that's inevitable by living that way, you'll draw others to the gospel. That seems like a lot of unfair pressure to individuals who are experiencing something difficult to feel happy in spite of the difficult. As an aspiring therapist, I can tell you the lack of validation for depressed feelings does not inspire the individual to feel happier-- it instead makes them feel isolated and weird.

So between the lack of sunlight, the lack of Christmas decorations, and being mad at God, I'm a little sad at the moment. I would rather enjoy a kitten right now.

6 comments:

rebecca said...

Hmm. I don't know what to say about wintertime blues, and disagreements with God. Maybe read The Ministry of Angels by Holland. it was in the Sat afternoon session of conference.

Oh, and I agree about the whole Christmas thing. I haven't got out the tree yet (Daniel is pretty anti-holidays) but I have cranked up the tunes. And, if I am in the car, it will be playing horrible, yet sentimental Christmas music. Can I hear a what, what for Wham!

TPlayer said...

I am a huge Trevor fan as well! He's pretty much one of my favorite people to see back in the home ward because in a matter of 5 seconds he makes me feel like #1 The most beautiful girl in the world and #2 like he has been anxiously awaiting my arrival similar to the way a kid counts the days until Christmas. So I hear ya! I would venture to say, however, that Trevor would not want you angry with God on his behalf...just to throw that out there.

As for Prop 8-I'm sick of hearing about it as well. The people have spoken-let it go. Just as some of us were not happy with "OBAMAnation" (get it, "abomination?")...there will be those who oppose the passing of Prop 8. And to them I say, too bad, so sad.. you win some, you lose some. Quit blaming the Mormons. #1. Mormons make up less than 2% of the population of California. There are approximately 800,000 LDS out of a total population of approximately 34 million.
2. Mormon voters were less than 5% of the yes vote. If one estimates that 250,000 LDS are registered voters (the rest being children), then LDS voters made up 4.6% of the Yes vote and 2.4% of the total Proposition 8 vote.

Hmmm Maybe I should write my own blog post on this because it's true, I've been a bit outraged lately. My brother's family lives in California and the day I heard my 13 yr old niece say she was scared to go to school because people knew she was LDS, I about lost it inside! So that's where my protective rage stems from.

As for your need of some sun, I guess we could kill 2 birds with one stone and how about we fly to CA and spend a day at the beach.
(I get cheap tickets-ya wanna?)

Kathleen said...

Dear my other me...

Don't be upset with yourself for questioning things...I know it's hard to always believe but I can definitely attest to you being one of the most genuine and best people I know.

That's really heartbreaking news about Trevor. He is a great guy!

My final comment...once you get out of Utah I think you'll start to feel better about the church again too...which isn't too far away!!!

Oh! and I love you!

Me said...

Keighty, my dear:

1. Remember that you get at least 10 less minutes of sunlight in UT because of the mountains. They cut off the sun light at the beginning and end of the day. Try to get out midday (ha ha ha--I know...) and take in some vitamin D.

2. I believe in anti-anxiety and anti-depressants.

3. I read a poem once--that said it perfectly. I've shocked some people with this---but don't care. It said "It's okay to be mad at God (i.e. when you're learning and trying to understanding the unfair, inappropriate, crazy world we live in)---He can handle that". You know...I was always told growing up that our relationship with Heavenly Father should be as close and "good" as our relationship with our Earthly father. Well, obviously the idiot who said that had a perfect relationship with their earthly father. As someone who dealt with screaming, yelling, and contention with her father (or between her father and another sibling) most everyday of my teenage existence, trying to imagine Heavenly Father like my earthly father didn't really make me happy. Until, at one point, I was angry (like you admitted) with Heavenly Father. I held it in for days and days, allowing Satan to make me feel guilty for feeling the way I did. Until finally, I fell (literally) to my knees, sobbing, and practically yelling at Him about what I was upset with. By the end, I'd dumped the whole anger and everything on Him---and truly learned how He and Christ, working together, can lighten our burdens. I still forget this, even today, and still have to be reminded over and over again.....but truly, He can handle it. Trust Him (and me)--He can. He can even handle Prop 8 crap (cause I've been giving him some of my "oh my word, can't we all just move on!" frustrations as well.

4. I totally and absolutely agree with what you said about not acknowledging once's feelings--and how this is often reinforced within the Mormon Church. I think Brigham Young even has a quote about it. But, I have learned, through his quote--that there is a time and place for the "venting" and a time and place where we need to be faithful. I heard one person once say that even though we vent...we need to return back to practicing faithful thoughts and thinking. If our venting does not return us there...then that is when we can get in trouble. So, vent away! That's what I use my blog for too! And honestly, those Mormon's who are always happy all the time (or always depressed as a sibling of mine is) who do not acknowledge their feelings, seek treatment, or help are the one's who worry me---because either their illusions and expectations for themselves or others will crash and burn someday....or they will crash and burn someday, and will have nothing to help them or hold them up.

So--get a sun lamp...and be glad you aren't stuck in an inversion ;) (at least, I don't think you guys are in one?)

Mary P.

Beth said...

Maybe all these comments are just annoying you, but I'm making one too!

I appreciated Elder Wirthlin's thought in his "Come What May, and Love It" talk when he said, "How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't--at least not in the moment. I don't think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don't think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor i how happy and successful we can be in life."

Anonymous said...

"If Trevor gets a heart transplant, he's going to have to pretty much live at the doctor's. He's going to have to take lots of anti-rejection meds, and his quality of life is going to suck for lack of a better word. Right now, he's kicking it. "


Ditto. Although, there are OTHER things we can do, the transplant is the thing everything leads up to. As my wonderful, sexy, Australian doctor said, having a transplant is like having a spare tire. You don't drive around on your spare tire for the rest of time for a reason, it's the spare. Except, with a transplant, there is nothing else. Nothing will ever be as good as the real organ.

At some point Trevor will have to make his own decision. Or, will have the ability to. Do you think he'll chose something opposite to his mother's original idea?