Monday, April 7, 2008

New tooth, new blog.

I've decided to hop on the cool kids train and start a blog for Bobby and me. We've been married for nine months today, which means we could pop out a baby any day without any covert whispers about our true intentions for getting married. Ha! I truly cannot believe it's been nine months. I feel like I've been married forever, but also like it hasn't been long at all.

We made the trip to the dentist today, and finally got a temporary put on my root canal tooth residual from the dreadful bike accident I was in last August. It feels weird to have a tooth there that isn't all jagged and broken, which means that I am of course playing with it with my tongue and the temporary isn't going to last the two weeks until I get the actual crown. Stop it, Katie! *slaps face* The dentist we found is actually a guy that shops a lot at the bike shop Bobby works at, and cut us an amazing deal. I guess his wife needed five crowns done while they were in college, and he remembers how difficult it was to know that and not be able to afford to do anything about it. He's an incredibly nice guy, and has avoided charging us on anything he can. It's also the nicest dentist office I've ever been in (with a salt water tank that has a blow fish, which I have named Puff Daddy), so it's an incredible blessing that Bobby has been able to help out Dr. Jones as much as he has with his bikes so we can be in his good graces.

This past weekend was general conference, and we had the incredible opportunity of attending the last session. That's one of the perks of living in Utah. Our neighbors (who are also our landlords) got tickets and invited us to come with them. It's so nice living underneath people our age that are actually fun enough to want to spend time with. Chuck also adores their little cat, Kelso. Conference was so good. I absolutely adore President Monson. I couldn't believe how chatty people are in conference-- it seems so quiet in between talks when you're watching it on TV, but in person, people are whispering and talking between each speaker. When President Monson was speaking, the laughter was so loud! I would have thought it to be irreverent, except you could feel how much the brethren truly love each and every person in the church (and then some). It was so wonderful to be there. Even if we were in the nosebleed section.

Peli's graduating from puppy class this week. She has learned so much, and I cannot wait until she's a therapy dog. I've applied for a job with the Boys and Girls Club, and I want that job so badly! I think it would be a lot of fun to be able to bring Peli with me once she's certified, so then I can let kids play with a dog that might not have an opportunity to otherwise.

Peli's graduating in a few days, and then I'll be graduating. Not in a few days, but in a few months, and I can wait that long. My internship is so amazing. I absolutely love working with the guys I get to work with, and it has taught me so much about autism. I went into this internship not knowing a whole lot, which meant I had a lot of misconceptions about autism and asperger's, but these guys are so great. They have helped me so much more than I could help them, so why am I getting school credit and a paycheck? Utah really drives me crazy sometimes, and I miss Kansas and my ward so much, but the Lord is really looking out for me.

I've been thinking about my degree a lot. I really feel like I was meant to go into social work, and I feel like I have learned a lot, and that I am good at what I do. But lately, I've started to wonder if maybe I'm cut out for practice. I had plans of getting my master's, becoming a therapist, and then being able to work part-time, maybe from home, for individuals who couldn't afford therapy otherwise. Some things have happened though that have really shown me how sensitive I am, and how hard it is for me to be working with individuals and not let them affect me. That's why it's so devestating to me when someone dies, even if I wasn't that close to them. Every person I encounter has such a profound effect on me, and it's not really healthy for me to have that quality with this field. I wonder if I was prompted to go into it for the sole purpose of preparing for motherhood.

My brain is all over the place. This Saturday, Bobby's racing in his first race, and I actually get to go! It's nice to have my weekends free, so then I can actually pretend I'm married. The division he's entering only has 20 or so people signed up, which means he has a really good chance of placing well. As expensive as it is, I'm so glad he enjoys it so much, and that he has something to focus his obsessive energy on. I have my animals, he has his bikes.

Oo, speaking of animals... We got two gerbils shortly after getting married. They were fun for a while, then they got kind of skittish and weren't much fun to play with. So we would just make sure they had food and water, and let them do their thing. With the cat and dog, though, they were kind of... forgotten about. They were in the top of the closet for a couple of weeks when Bobby thought to check in on them. He brought the cage down, and then looked inside. He told me to sit down, and when I refused and asked if they were dead, he told me that one had eaten the other. All was left was the fur and some bones. Bobby took the surviving gerbil outside and let him go. Yuck. I guess they lived for a pretty long time, right?

No comments: