Monday, May 25, 2009

Ode to Pearl Izumi


Dearest Pearl Izumi,

Not so long ago, I was a foolish lass who didn't know any better. In those days, when I felt the urge to go running, I would put on an old pair of soccer shorts and a cotton t-shirt. When time came to train for a triathlon, my husband cut up a t-shirt to make a tank top (later declared a "skank top") to wear when training. Cotton was the only fabric I knew, and for such reason, it fulfilled my every need.

With the upcoming triathlon, we purchased a triathlon top and shorts from you, and I was extremely grateful for how light the clothing felt. I hardly noticed it on my body, and after working hard, I noticed there were no sleeves to weigh my arms down, and sweat could quickly leave my overheating body. I caught a glimpse of my silhouette on the pavement, and was pleased to look like a legitimate runner.


A while later, I purchased my first real pair of running shoes, picked out with the assistance of a running shop employee who assisted me in finding a pair that would fit my paddle feet properly and correct my form. After a few jogs in the new footwear, I was able to purchase a couple running tops. Sadly, they did not have the built in bra like the tri top, but I was so grateful to have something to wear every other day for my run, rather than progressively disgusting each day with the sweat accumulation in the tri top. How wonderful to feel so graceful and cool.

Then, sadly, we left our Pearl Izumi running top AND shorts at my mother in law's house after a round of laundry. Unable to make the drive back for another week, I felt lost without my running companions. That's okay, I thought, I lived so long running in a cut up t-shirt and soccer shorts, I can do it again.

Oh, Pearl Izumi, I strayed from the goodness of your clothing, and I swear to never do it again! Running in the Kansas humidity in shorts without a liner was a mistake deemed cruel and unusual! The cotton clinging to my sweaty flesh made the heat deplorable, unbearable, and my training was considerably hindered. Forgive me, Pearl Izumi, for I attempted the miles of running without your help, and I have been humbled. Never again will I lace up my shoes without the cooling assurance of your slick fabric against my skin. I run so I can be healthy-- I wear you so I can run.

Thank you for being so awesome.

Your devoted wearer,

Katie Brigman

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Katie,
I join you in your tribute to Pearl! Although I do not do own their tri gear, I definitely love their cycling gear. I was just at the Pearl Izumi store yesterday at the outlets and purchased a fantastic jersey and bibs for my hubby and of course a great and fashionable jacket for myself... Oh and don't forget the new water bottle adorned with their ever loving Happy Ass logo for this year. Love them and appreciate the fact that someone else does too!

TPlayer said...

You should have Kevin and Amy swing by the MIL's and pick it up. They live in Olathe right now with my parents, but Kevin's commuting to Lawrence everyday for work, I think.