Friday, May 2, 2008

Dry eyes aren't clear eyes.

Perhaps my last post was confusing, but I'm experiencing a lot of frustration as of late resulting from my constant checking of ksl.com to look at animals (because I'm obsessed with animals) and seeing how many of them are being shipped off from their owners because they're moving and they didn't find an apartment that allows pets (yes, I know it's difficult, but to me, the equivalent would be for me to look for housing here in Provo, and finding that single housing is more readily available, I would post an ad trying to sell my husband), or because they can't give the animal the attention it needs because they're so busy (puke. there are doggy day cares, look them up), or because they're having a baby and can't have the dog too (my parents had dogs before we were born, and we grew up with a MUCH better relationship with the dogs than we did with the humans in the house!). I've also been looking at animal shelters in the area, fueling my desire to work at one as an adoptions counselor or the like once I graduate (that's kind of like a social worker, right?) and also breaking my heart over the many animals that will probably be put to sleep (over half. And did you know that black dogs are more likely to not get adopted, and thus euthanized? Three cheers for animal racism).

When I was in middle school, I stopped talking to one of my best friends because she fed a Gardetto to a duck, and I was taught salt was bad for animals.

It drives me absolutely crazy to read about all the animals that are put to sleep because humans are stupid. There are countless ads for pure bred puppies from breeders, looking for $500 a puppy, when there are tons of adorable dogs in shelters for a quarter of that, most of which will be put to sleep while these breeders put on the Barry White and light some candles so their dogs can make some more potentially eventual homeless pets.

I want to adopt them all. Sadly, our landlords are terrified of us getting even one more pet, so I guess that's out of the question. I just need something to do so I can feel like I'm not one of those people that just says, "Oh, what a shame," and continues on with my daily life as if it's in a completely different plane rather than happening just a few miles away at the shelter. Lori looked at me funny the other day when I was trying to explain to her how I don't like people. With all of the stuff I'm exposed to in social work, and all of the things I read to keep up with current events, and now learning what I can about animal cruelty and abandonment, it's hard to not see human beings as evil creatures. Sure, we all have the light of Christ in us, and we are inherently good with the potential to do great things, but as our culture has evolved, we live in a world where so many terrible things are presented as options for coping mechanisms, and it's acceptable as long as you don't get caught.

http://www.animalsinourhearts.com/shelter/quest1.htm

1 comment:

Beth said...

I want a dog once we have kids. Right now we're gone from 6:45 to about 5:30 every day, and I don't want to leave it alone that long, but having a kid wouldn't make me want to get rid of a dog. I grew up with pets, and kids love growing up with pets (at least the kids I know). For some reason I keep looking up dogs online today. I like this one: read her description. Laid back and loving!

http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/cgi-bin/public/petsearch.cgi/pet_details?pet_id=1176218&do_count=1