Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Feeling trunky.

Tis the week that all my social work friends back in Lawrence are scrambling to finish their final papers/projects, and wrapping up their internships to prepare for graduation. It's hard not to dwell on the fact that I still have three long months left (which seems even longer now that I'm not even sure I want to do social work anymore).

But that's pessimism in writing, and that's boring to read. Instead, I shall tell you about my fantastic adventure this evening that was pretty much identical to my adventure last evening, except this time I didn't end up with a big bruise on my bum. We've capitalized on Peli's love for the mountains by taking her with us to go mountain biking. Yes, I am finally back on a bike, and this one has shocks, thicker wheels, and I'm sporting a full face helmet and arm pads (tis why I only bruised my bum yesterday when I fell). Bobby put a computer on my bike so now I can tell how far I go, and I was a little disappointed when I realized our familiar trail was only 3 miles total. Then I looked behind me and saw Peli trotting away, and realized that every time we rode this trail, Peli was running three miles. She has short legs! She's kind of a superdog, and I love her. Right now she's watching her new DVD I ordered for her off of amazon.com (in fact, Chuck is watching it too!). Bobby mocked me a little bit for ordering a DVD made for dogs, but she's loving it. I wanted to give her something to watch so she would feel less lonely while we're at work. Right now, there are pheasants pecking away at some dirt. Peli seems less interested in the bird scenes, which doesn't surprise me, as she has little to no reaction to birds while we're hiking (but if we come across a deer, all of the hair on her back stands straight up).

Bobby's wish has come true. After two weeks at the Boys and Girls Club, I'm ready to call a doctor to schedule a hysterectomy. It's not that most of the kids are brats-- most of them are actually wonderful, sweet kids that I love working with and talking to. However, there's the 10% that I find myself plotting ways to set on fire and make it look like an accident that deter me from ever wanting to sport the fetal accessory. Instead of day dreaming about names for our future children, I've turned to making plans for our little farm and all the animals we're going to rescue from the shelter. Here's the latest one that Bobby's agreed to let me adopt if I can convince the landlords. We're going to name him Cheese, so then when Bobby speaks Spanish and is referring to our cats, he can say "Chuck y Cheese." For those of you that were wondering, that's why I married him. Cheese is a cute little kitten (this picture does not do him justice) who sounds like he's barking when he meows. It's so cute! He's been at the shelter for a while now, and I'm getting a little worried, so Bobby agreed to let me adopt him as a Mother's Day present. It will be nice for Chuck too if he can have a more lively friend to play with (he loves Kelso, but Kelso is kind of a lazy bum that doesn't do a whole lot).

Peli is fascinated by the roosters. All of my skepticism about DVDs for animals is gone.

Now let's see if the CD I got with soothing sounds for dogs has the same effect. Jealous? You should be.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

awesome. you're writing about hysterectomies and i'm writing about how much pregnancy sucks. boooooo.

Heidi said...

if you want help formatting it so the banner fits better, just gimme a call.